Policy Planning Coordinator
Minnehaha Creek Watershed District | Posted Jan 26, 2024
Deadline: Feb 16, 2024
- Experience Level:
- 0-5 Years
- Link to Apply:
- Apply Now
Get to Know Us – Our Why:
MCWD believes that water is a central organizing element in the development of sustainable cities. We know that our lakes, streams, and wetlands have the power to underpin community identity, and grow social, environmental, and economic value. This is why we are dedicated to building a landscape of vibrant communities where nature and the built environment exist in balance, and create value and enjoyment. We are pursuing a vision of A Balanced Urban Ecology through public-private partnerships that protect and improve water, while creating a sense of place within the watershed.
How We Work Together – Our Culture:
MCWD is a leader in watershed management—it’s a place to explore your potential and to push boundaries. We know that our success is driven by talented people who want to grow, think, and create. Our culture thrives on ideas, imagination, initiative, and the power that diverse perspectives bring to our collective mission. At MCWD, we enjoy the challenge of deep, meaningful work and appreciate the power we have as a team to achieve excellence in a constantly evolving environment. MCWD is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
What You Will Be Doing – The Job:
• Manage the District’s Land & Water Partnership program, including coordination with public and private partners and across District programs, scanning for threats and opportunities, evaluating and prioritizing opportunities, and recommending District response.
• Develop, and advance the implementation of, policy initiatives such as the MCWD’s Climate Action Framework and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Framework.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with the cities, state and local agencies, private developers and landowners, and other stakeholders to advance District priorities and improve the integration of land use and water planning.
• Assist in the development of the District’s 10-year Watershed Management Plan and 5-year strategic plans in collaboration with MCWD Board of Managers, staff, and external stakeholders.
What You Will Bring to MCWD:
• A passion for advancing MCWD’s Balanced Urban Ecology vision of watershed management
• Bachelor's degree with coursework in natural resources, environmental science, planning, management, or related field and 2-5 years of experience in natural resource management, policy development, or planning (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
• An ability to analyze problems and situations and develop and implement effective solutions
• Thorough skill in project management and organization to manage several complicated initiatives simultaneously
• The capacity to track, digest, and manage detail while maintaining a strategic perspective
• An ability to effectively communicate complex concepts orally, in writing, and in presentations
• A drive to stretch, learn, and grow in a high performing environment
• An ability to develop and maintain positive, cooperative, working relationships with colleagues, consultants, local and agency staff, and the general public
• Flexible thinking, adaptability, and a desire to actively manage change