Graduate and Undergraduate students: share your vision for the future of water science!
What are society's most pressing water issues and what new approaches are needed to address these issues? CUAHSI's Voices of the Future Award highlights the voices of students and provides a platform to share their visions for the future of the water science community. Two awards will be granted: one undergraduate and one graduate.
The application period for this award has passed. Winners will be announced in December 2020.
Winners will receive registration and travel support to a science meeting, honoraria, and opportunities to share their vision with the greater water science community! More information below.
Or, share the announcement with students! Click here to download the announcement.
Eligibility, Prompt & Submission Requirements
- Two awards will be granted: one undergraduate student and one graduate student.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students at U.S. institutions are eligible.
Compose a fact-based opinion paper that addresses one of the following:
- New science that is needed to address local to global water issues,
- Processes for moving from water science to impactful water policy,
- Diversity, equity, inclusivity, and/or environmental justice issues and solutions in water science and policy,
- Any related topic that provides a vision for the future of water science and/or the water resources community.
- Prepare a fact-based opinion paper of no more that 5 pages (11 pt font) including citations, figures, tables or captions.
Evaluation Criteria & Process
- The paper creatively and cogently addresses an important hydrologic science or water-resources issue and sets forth a compelling vision for the future.
- The paper is clearly and concisely written, and arguments are supported by facts.
- Papers that are about specific methods or instrumentation are discouraged, as are implementation plans.
- Submissions will be evaluated by a mixed panel of CUAHSI staff and Board and committee members, and selected members from the community.
- Evaluation will be double-blind
- Registration and travel to a CUAHSI Meeting (2021 CUAHSI Biennial or 2020 Joint Hydrologic Sciences Meeting.)
- $500 Honorarium.
- Personalized Award Plaque.
- Opportunity to present the vision to the CUAHSI community at the selected CUAHSI meeting.
- Featured articles in the CUAHSI Annual Report, monthly newsletter, and on the cuahsi.org website.
- Publications of both the award winning papers and two honorable-mention papers on the CUAHSI website.
Potential Resources for Getting Started
- Chapter 5 of A Vision for NSF Earth Sciences 2020-2023: Earth in Time
- CUAHSI Strategic Plan 2018 - 2023 .
- Topics listed as part of the AGU 2020 Fall meeting Theme.
- International Association of Hydrologic Sciences Panta Rhei and 23 Unsolved Problems in Hydrology .
- Special Issue of Journal of Geoscience Education, New Developments in Diversity and Inclusiveness in the Geosciences.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Communicating Science Effectively.