Software Engineer, Houston Engineering Inc. (HEI)
Location: Maple Grove, MN (also considering candidates for Fargo or Bismarck, ND offices)
At Houston Engineering Inc. (HEI) we are scientists, engineers, GIS specialists, software engineers, and surveyors providing innovative and practical leading-edge science based solutions to public, private and non-profit clients. Within our growing HEI technology sector (http://www.houstoneng.com/what-we-do/technology/), we specialize in development of web, mobile and GIS applications for a variety of clients around the U.S. Our work is conducted from multiple offices throughout the Midwest, but our reach goes well beyond. Our unique perspectives on integrating GIS and web technology with engineering and science has made us a leader in the development of water resources applications.
Currently we are seeking a full stack Software Engineer candidate who is passionate about web and mobile development and has a strong desire to grow our team through assisting in business development activities. We need someone who can adapt quickly and add value to our fast paced, growing business and someone who can contribute collaboratively within our software development team.
- Develops high quality code, performs code reviews, creates new functionality and debug
- Builds software applications – Follows coding standards, builds appropriate unit tests, integration tests, and deployment scripts
- Assists in refining software architectures – Collaborates with leads to explore existing systems, determines areas of complexity, potential risks to successful implementation, and learns the applications capabilities
- Communicates continually with the client and project teams – Explains progress on the development effort
- Owns success – Takes responsibility for successful delivery of the solutions
- Participates in the UI/UX design in order to deliver functional user interfaces, ensuring cross browser compatibility and performance
- Contributes to continual improvement by suggesting improvements to user interface, software architecture or new technologies
- Mentors other software engineers
- Assists with project management
- Regularly engage in business development activities
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor or associate degree in computer science or related field
- Minimum 5 years of full stack software development experience with both web and mobile applications
- Experience designing APIs and Libraries
- Ability to effectively communicate technical items verbally and in writing
- Experience architecting and deploying Django applications to a Linux environment
- Valid drivers license with good driving record
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Authorization to work in the United States permanently without the requirement of sponsorship at any point in the future is required.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Minimum 4 years of professional working experience with Python and Django.
- Experience with React/Redux.
- Experience with GIS application development
- Background working with scientific data in water resources, natural resources or civil engineering
- Experience with business development and marketing
- Prior consulting experience
Benefits of Joining HEI
This is a full-time position offering competitive pay, yearly bonuses, an excellent benefits package including company paid health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability. Other benefits include Paid Time Off, paid holidays, and a generous 401(k) and profit sharing plan. We offer an entrepreneurial, creative, and flexible work environment which allows you to pursue your creative vision in a supportive, relaxed, and professional setting. The challenge and opportunity you seek can be found at Houston Engineering!
To apply, go to: http://www.houstoneng.com/careers
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability